Friday, October 21, 2011

Second Life Experience

My experience through second life was interesting. I still am not sure how to take it. I can admit, I started playing the Sims Social game through facebook when it came out a couple of months ago. Second life is very similar to Sims in a way because it is along the lines of controlling your "person" and making a life all on a computer game. Although I like to play the Sims game, i'd say about once a week when I have free time, I can't think of myself as a second life player. The game seems too "real-life" and complicated for me. I was having a hard time figuring out what the purpose was, or how to even change what my avatar looked like. It is amazing to me that people are able to have businesses through second life and make actual real U.S. dollars off of graphic designs used in second life. I guess if I spent enough time on second life, mastering how to get around and do specific things, it would be a fun thing to do if I was bored and didn't have anything else to do. But as for spending hours upon hours each day on second life; that to me is crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Alicia -- what have we studied in class and talked about that is part of the 2L experience? Think about depaysement, multiphrenia, gender-swapping, and so on. Think about the body-text split. Think about new media and its impact on old brains. There's so much to think about!

    ReplyDelete