Monday, November 21, 2011

Put Down the Phone!

When being assigned this week's blog, I initially became very nervous. I find myself very quickly and easily becoming uncomfortable and nervous when talking to complete strangers, alone. I just figured that I would be too nervous, and just stay in my own world, on my phone, and wait until the very last minute. Little did I know, it happened almost right away.

I have a, very large, golden retriever, who I take for walks around my apartment complex very frequently. I always bring my cell phone with and just talk on my phone or text, while my dog is walking. This time, I decided not to use my phone and just walk and see what happened. I almost always pass people walking their dogs and just smile and continue walking by, but this time I think my dog was the one who initiated conversation.
A guy, about my age, was also walking his dog at the same time. I had seen this guy around many times, with his dog, and around the neighborhood, but never once had a conversation. Of course, my dog wanted to play with his dog, so they were sniffing each other, and doing the usual "dog greeting", and I introduced myself to the guy. We chatted for about ten-fifteen minutes about where we are from and how we like the area.
It was nice to get to know someone, that way I have a friendly face around the neighborhood.
It is interesting how sucked in to my phone I get, without even realizing what so ever. People all across the world do this on a daily basis, just sticking to the people we know and never branching out to people we pass on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Alicia -- yes, and when we're sucked into our phone, we miss something. What might Goffman say about this?

    ReplyDelete